All of us have been told to add fiber in our diet. This is because there are so many health benefits and most Americans only get about half of the recommended fiber per day. Lets breakdown the details of fiber and why it is an essential part of our diet.
What is Fiber?
· It is a type of carbohydrate. Don’t panic! Most carbs are broken down into sugars, which we associate with diabetes and being bad for our health. Fiber cannot be broken down into sugar and instead has a positive effect on our body!
Some Benefits of Fiber:
· Reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
· Lowers cholesterol.
· Helps prevent constipation.
· Aids with weight loss.
How much do we need?
· Approximately 25-35 grams/day.
What are good sources of fiber?
- Whole grains, fruits and vegetables, beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
Tips to increase Fiber in your diet:
- Skip fruit juices and eat whole fruits instead!
- Substitute white rice, bread, flour, and pasta for whole grain alternatives.
- Add fiber slowly into your diet and it’s very important to increase water intake as you increase fiber.
- Still need help getting fiber in your diet? There are over the counter fiber supplements that come in variety of forms.
Fiber can be an easy addition to your diet to help meet your healthcare goals this 2021!
Melanie Shockley, DNP